-   -   IF STATEMENT PROBLEM (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/54824-if-statement-problem.html)

Manjit Gosal

IF STATEMENT PROBLEM

Hi Guys

I am quite new to IF Statements, but I have been thrown into a deep end. I
want three different values in cells in a column. My problem is that I can
get true or false values but I can't leave the cell blank if there is no
data in cells A1 and B1. The function that I want is that if cells A1 and B1
have values then D1=Sum(A1:B1) and Cell C1 then dispalys either Y, P or N,
which I want and got it right. If there are no values in Cells A1 and B1
then I am getting Y or False in Cell C1 but I want it to be left blank. The
statement looks something like this:

=IF(D1=(A1+B1),"Y",IF(D1<1,"N",IF(D1<(A1+B1),"P") ))

Please Help!!!!

Duke Carey

IF STATEMENT PROBLEM

Isn't it just:

=IF(D1=(A1+B1),"Y",IF(D1<1,"N","P"))

"Manjit Gosal" wrote:

Hi Guys

I am quite new to IF Statements, but I have been thrown into a deep end. I
want three different values in cells in a column. My problem is that I can
get true or false values but I can't leave the cell blank if there is no
data in cells A1 and B1. The function that I want is that if cells A1 and B1
have values then D1=Sum(A1:B1) and Cell C1 then dispalys either Y, P or N,
which I want and got it right. If there are no values in Cells A1 and B1
then I am getting Y or False in Cell C1 but I want it to be left blank. The
statement looks something like this:

=IF(D1=(A1+B1),"Y",IF(D1<1,"N",IF(D1<(A1+B1),"P") ))

Please Help!!!!

Sloth

IF STATEMENT PROBLEM

Your problem is that D1=(A1+B1) treats A1 and B1 as 0 if there is no value
in them. If A1 and B1 is blank, then you will get Y (or true) for any
postive value in D1. I think you need another if statement. like this.

=IF(A1+B1=0,"",IF(D1=(A1+B1),"Y",IF(D1<1,"N",IF(D 1<(A1+B1),"P")))

"Manjit Gosal" wrote:

Hi Guys

I am quite new to IF Statements, but I have been thrown into a deep end. I
want three different values in cells in a column. My problem is that I can
get true or false values but I can't leave the cell blank if there is no
data in cells A1 and B1. The function that I want is that if cells A1 and B1
have values then D1=Sum(A1:B1) and Cell C1 then dispalys either Y, P or N,
which I want and got it right. If there are no values in Cells A1 and B1
then I am getting Y or False in Cell C1 but I want it to be left blank. The
statement looks something like this:

=IF(D1=(A1+B1),"Y",IF(D1<1,"N",IF(D1<(A1+B1),"P") ))

Please Help!!!!

Manjit Gosal

IF STATEMENT PROBLEM

Yes! It is just that but still can't leave cell C1 Blank.
Thanks
"Duke Carey" wrote in message
Isn't it just:

=IF(D1=(A1+B1),"Y",IF(D1<1,"N","P"))

"Manjit Gosal" wrote:

[...]

Thanks a lot to both of you. You both were right but didn't get blank cell
still, but by mixing the two statements i.e. putting bits from both your
statements I eventually got it right. This is how it looks now:

=IF(A1+B1=0,"",IF(D1=(A1+B1),"Y",IF(D1<1,"N","P") ))

Thanks again