exutable

Default Nested IF's with Rank Problem

Hey I have a list of people with a rank from 1 to 24, and I am trying to
make cells labeled "first", "second", and "third", what I need is a
formula that can figure out who has rank number 1, 2 and 3 and list
there name in the given cell.

So long story short I need the person who is in first listed in the
"first" cell and so on!

Thank you for looking at my problem

--
exutable
exutable's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28665

Biff

Hi!

Are you using a RANK formula? Are there any ties?

Assume names are in A1:A24
"Rank" is in B1:B24

C1:C3 = First;Second;Third

D1 = formula:

=INDEX(A$1:A$24,MATCH(SMALL(B$1:B$24,ROWS($1:1)),B $1:B$24,0))

Copy down to D3.

Biff

"exutable" wrote in
message ...

Hey I have a list of people with a rank from 1 to 24, and I am trying to
make cells labeled "first", "second", and "third", what I need is a
formula that can figure out who has rank number 1, 2 and 3 and list
there name in the given cell.

So long story short I need the person who is in first listed in the
"first" cell and so on!

Thank you for looking at my problem

--
exutable
exutable's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=483387

exutable

Well you see the thing is, is that I have names right? and then a number
next to them

Zack 5
Bob 3
Jack 4
Moe 1

There is some information between the rank and the name though so thats
why I didn't have it sort the names, I didn't know how to make the whole
row follow the rank, if that makes any sense

Thank for the help