-   -   counting text (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/54111-counting-text.html)

dknibbe

counting text

To Whom It May Concern:

I have two columns of text data like the below example:
Column A Column B

Compliance Text......
Compliance Text.......
Compliance Text......

I want to count the number of non-blank cells in Column B that correspond to
Column A. Please help!

Spencer

Gary L Brown

counting text

If I understand your request correctly..
Col A contains some text. Col B contains text that may/may not have the
text from Col A in it.
For example:
Col A2: "test"
Col B2: "Hi_test_Lo_test_Mid_test"
The formula below would return '3'.

=(LEN(B2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(B2,A2,"")))/LEN(A2)

HTH,
--
Gary Brown

If this post was helpful, please click the ''''Yes'''' button next to
''''Was this Post Helpfull to you?".