-   -   Average determination (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/5407-average-determination.html)

Debra

Average determination

Dear all,

I have rows of numbers which I need to average. The
trouble is not all entries are numbers. I only want to
average the numbers present. I have:

SUM(A1:A20)/COUNTIF(A1:A20, ?)

I get stuck on the criteria. How do I say in excelspeak
"is a number"?

regards

Debra

Gary Brown

Use the worksheet function CountA
HTH,
Gary Brown

"Debra" wrote in message
Dear all,

I have rows of numbers which I need to average. The
trouble is not all entries are numbers. I only want to
average the numbers present. I have:

SUM(A1:A20)/COUNTIF(A1:A20, ?)

I get stuck on the criteria. How do I say in excelspeak
"is a number"?

regards

Debra

Norman Jones

Hi Debra,

Use the built in Average function which ignores non-numerical values.

---
Regards,
Norman

"Debra" wrote in message
Dear all,

I have rows of numbers which I need to average. The
trouble is not all entries are numbers. I only want to
average the numbers present. I have:

SUM(A1:A20)/COUNTIF(A1:A20, ?)

I get stuck on the criteria. How do I say in excelspeak
"is a number"?

regards

Debra

Thank you. Debra.
I have rows of numbers which I need to average. The
trouble is not all entries are numbers. I only want to
average the numbers present. I have:

SUM(A1:A20)/COUNTIF(A1:A20, ?)

I get stuck on the criteria. How do I say in excelspeak
"is a number"?

regards

Debra
.

Jerry W. Lewis

I think you meant COUNT. COUNTA will also count non-numbers.

Jerry