-   -   How do I lookup a corresponding value in another table (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/54066-how-do-i-lookup-corresponding-value-another-table.html)

Des

How do I lookup a corresponding value in another table

I am trying to create a lookup where I am entering a 6 account number digit
but my 2 col lookup database has 16 number digits in col 1. I want my
lookup to ignore the last 10 digits in this table and give me the
corresponding text from col2 in table.

Barb Reinhardt

How do I lookup a corresponding value in another table

I'd use a helper column that gets the last 6 characters of the column 1
data.

Use
=right(a1,6)

"Des" wrote in message
I am trying to create a lookup where I am entering a 6 account number digit
but my 2 col lookup database has 16 number digits in col 1. I want my
lookup to ignore the last 10 digits in this table and give me the
corresponding text from col2 in table.

Roger Govier

How do I lookup a corresponding value in another table

Hi Des

One way
Insert a column to the right of your the column with your 16 digit numbers.
Use the formula =--LEFT(A1,6) where A is equal to the column letter
ocontaining your 16 digit number. Copy down.
Make this new column the leftmost column of the range for your lookup.

Note the diouble unary minus -- is necessary to make the values into
numbers, otherwise you will be comparing your lookup number against text and
getting a #N/A answer.

--
Regards

Roger Govier