-   -   Pulling in the path to a filename (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/53723-pulling-path-filename.html)

Pradhan

Pulling in the path to a filename

Is there anyway to pull either the complete path or alternatively, the parent
folder of the xls file. For example, example.xls is located in the
c:\november directory,
I'd like to pull in either C:\november or just november.

Thanks
Pradhan

Bob Phillips

Pulling in the path to a filename

Set myPath = Activeworkbook.Path

--

HTH

RP

"Pradhan" wrote in message
Is there anyway to pull either the complete path or alternatively, the

parent
folder of the xls file. For example, example.xls is located in the
c:\november directory,
I'd like to pull in either C:\november or just november.

Thanks
Pradhan

Gary''s Student

Pulling in the path to a filename

Use =CELL("filename") and parse out the part of the string that you need.
--
Gary's Student

"Pradhan" wrote:

Is there anyway to pull either the complete path or alternatively, the parent
folder of the xls file. For example, example.xls is located in the
c:\november directory,
I'd like to pull in either C:\november or just november.

Thanks
Pradhan

Dave Peterson

Pulling in the path to a filename

It's probably better in this case to include a cell from that worksheet:

=cell("filename",a1)
(any old cell will do)

If you open two workbooks and put:
=cell("Filename")
in A1 of a worksheet in each workbook
then use window|arrange|tiled
to see both worksheets,
you'll see the difference.

"Pradhan" wrote:

Is there anyway to pull either the complete path or alternatively, the parent
folder of the xls file. For example, example.xls is located in the
c:\november directory,
I'd like to pull in either C:\november or just november.

Thanks
Pradhan

--

Dave Peterson

Pradhan

Pulling in the path to a filename

Thank you, although I must confess, I see no difference between the 2
functions with and without the included reference but I suspect that is due
to my requesting "filename" information.

Pradhan

"Pradhan" wrote:

Is there anyway to pull either the complete path or alternatively, the parent
folder of the xls file. For example, example.xls is located in the
c:\november directory,
I'd like to pull in either C:\november or just november.

Thanks
Pradhan

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

Pulling in the path to a filename

Did you try that test?

If you did, then you should have seen that both cells showed the workbook name
that was active when the recalculation occurred.

If you didn't see it, you may want to do it again.