-   -   how to format Doe,John to Doe, John (space after a comma) (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/53650-how-format-doe-john-doe-john-space-after-comma.html)

asuncionw

how to format Doe,John to Doe, John (space after a comma)

I have a downloaded database file with a format of "lastname,firstname" and
would like to change that one column to either one column of say lastname,
firstname (with a space after the comma) or two columns of say col1 lastname,
col2 firstname.

Bill Kuunders

how to format Doe,John to Doe, John (space after a comma)

have a look at :
data
text to columns

--
Greetings from New Zealand
Bill K

"asuncionw" wrote in message
I have a downloaded database file with a format of "lastname,firstname" and
would like to change that one column to either one column of say lastname,
firstname (with a space after the comma) or two columns of say col1
lastname,
col2 firstname.

John Michl

how to format Doe,John to Doe, John (space after a comma)

You could also do a Find/Replace.

asuncionw

how to format Doe,John to Doe, John (space after a comma)

Note, Doe,John is in one column, 100 different names will carry the comma in
different places. This will not work but thanks anyway.

"Bill Kuunders" wrote:

have a look at :
data
text to columns

--
Greetings from New Zealand
Bill K

"asuncionw" wrote in message
I have a downloaded database file with a format of "lastname,firstname" and
would like to change that one column to either one column of say lastname,
firstname (with a space after the comma) or two columns of say col1
lastname,
col2 firstname.

asuncionw

how to format Doe,John to Doe, John (space after a comma)

This would help me if no formula or function is available. Thanks John.

"John Michl" wrote:

You could also do a Find/Replace.

Bill Kuunders

how to format Doe,John to Doe, John (space after a comma)

You can use the comma as the delimiter.
Have a go
--
Greetings from New Zealand
Bill K
"asuncionw" wrote in message
Note, Doe,John is in one column, 100 different names will carry the comma
in
different places. This will not work but thanks anyway.

"Bill Kuunders" wrote:

have a look at :
data
text to columns

--
Greetings from New Zealand
Bill K

"asuncionw" wrote in message
I have a downloaded database file with a format of "lastname,firstname"
and
would like to change that one column to either one column of say
lastname,
firstname (with a space after the comma) or two columns of say col1
lastname,
col2 firstname.

asuncionw

how to format Doe,John to Doe, John (space after a comma)

I will try that and I think it should work. Thanks Bill.

"asuncionw" wrote:

I have a downloaded database file with a format of "lastname,firstname" and
would like to change that one column to either one column of say lastname,
firstname (with a space after the comma) or two columns of say col1 lastname,
col2 firstname.

Ron Rosenfeld

how to format Doe,John to Doe, John (space after a comma)

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 11:17:11 -0800, asuncionw
wrote:

I have a downloaded database file with a format of "lastname,firstname" and
would like to change that one column to either one column of say lastname,
firstname (with a space after the comma) or two columns of say col1 lastname,
col2 firstname.

=TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(A1,",",", "))

Note the space after the second quoted comma.

The TRIM function is there just in case any of the imported names should happen
to have a space after the comma, so as not to have 2 spaces there.

--ron

asuncionw

how to format Doe,John to Doe, John (space after a comma)

Ron, it works too, thanks to you, Bill and John. Now I have 3 options.