-   -   Extract Numbers from Alpha-Numeric String (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/53356-extract-numbers-alpha-numeric-string.html)

MrBill

Extract Numbers from Alpha-Numeric String

I have an Alpha-Numeric String. I need to Extract the numbers and use them in
calculations.

Example String: PL1 1/2x5 1/2
I need to return the "1 1/2" as 1.5
And the "5 1/2" as 5.5
I guess it would be easier to say that I need to "OMIT" the Leading Alpha
Characters, Replace the Fractionals to Decimals, replace the "x" with *.
The result to be: 1.5*5.5

Roger Govier

Extract Numbers from Alpha-Numeric String

Hi

Try
=TEXT(MID(A1,3,5),"0.00")&" * "&TEXT(MID(A1,9,5),("0.00"))
This works fine with the sample shown.
If the numbers are going to be larger, I think I would use a helper cell to
split off the leading Alpha's e.g. in cell B1
=MID(A1,3,255)
then on the resulting cell use
=TEXT(LEFT(B1,FIND("x",B1)-1),"0.00")&" * "
&TEXT(MID(B1,FIND("x",B1)+1,20),"0.00")

Regards

Roger Govier