-   -   Conditional Formatting Work around? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/5292-conditional-formatting-work-around.html)

John

Conditional Formatting Work around?

I have 7 words in a Drop down list which can be chosen for each day of the
Year (a row for each day). I wish to have separate formatting for each of
these 7 words. Conditional formatting works great and is exactly what I
require, however I am limited only 3 different formats. Is there any way
around this?

Thanks

Frank Kabel

Hi
only using VBA (an event handling procedure) but no easy workaround

"John" wrote:

I have 7 words in a Drop down list which can be chosen for each day of the
Year (a row for each day). I wish to have separate formatting for each of
these 7 words. Conditional formatting works great and is exactly what I
require, however I am limited only 3 different formats. Is there any way
around this?

Thanks

Myrna Larson

In this case, you would have to write a VBA macro that checks the values and
applies the correct format.

Typically, you would use an event macro like Worksheet_Change. But in trying
to help another user earlier this evening, I learned that the change event
isn't triggered when your user selects something from a drop-down (either
Data/Validation or a "regular" dropdown). And a Calculate macro didn't fire
when I used a formula that referred to the cell linked to the drop-down.