-   -   hours to fractions (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/52822-hours-fractions.html)

jkwok

hours to fractions

Hi,

I have a 3 cell scenario. In the first cell is the time an employee
starts a work day formatted under time. So entering a 9:00 would result
in 9:00:00 AM.

The second cell is the time an employee clocks out formatted the same
way. So 5:30 PM would give 5:30:00 PM

In the last cell, I want the total time worked to be displayed. Right
now, by subtracting the 2nd cell from the 1st... I get 8:30 as a
result. Which is correct... 8.5 hours... but I want it displayed as 8.5
and not 8:30. How can I do this? :confused:

Thanks to any and all who reply!!

--
jkwok
jkwok's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28428

Peo Sjoblom

hours to fractions

Multiply with 24

=D2*24

D2 holds the time difference

it is important that you format the cell as either general or number
NOT time

Peo Sjoblom

"jkwok" wrote in
message ...