-   -   cell format in Excel 2002 SP3 will not accept long numbers (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/52595-cell-format-excel-2002-sp3-will-not-accept-long-numbers.html)

spkersh

cell format in Excel 2002 SP3 will not accept long numbers

I try to input a number 17 digits long. The whole number fits in the cell
just fine, but it cuts off the last 2 digits of the number and changes the
digits to "00." It doesn't matter what font size I use, how wide I make the
cell, or what format number type I use. I tried using custom, general,
number, etc.. all do the same thing, changes the last 2 digits to "00."

How do I fix it? Why will the cell accept unlimited number length, but only
accept numbers up to 15 digits? Why is everything past the 15th digit
automatically changed to "0"?

JE McGimpsey

cell format in Excel 2002 SP3 will not accept long numbers

XL's precision is limited to 15 digits. If you need to do math on more
digits than that, you'll need a different application.

If you simply want to display the 17 digit numbers, preformat the
cell(s) as Text, or prefix the entries with an apostrophe (').