-   -   Link To Drop Down Menu (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/52181-link-drop-down-menu.html)

JANA

Link To Drop Down Menu

I have a cell with a drop down menu with Contract Types. I want cells to
populate with data elsewhere on a worksheet if this drop down cell = T&M.
Please see example below to better explain.

Worksheet A
1 T&M (drop down cell)
2
3 Tim Jones
4 Donna Jones
5 Jane Doe
6 John Black

Worksheet B
1 if A1 in Worksheet A = T&M I want this cell to equal A3 from worksheet A
2 if A1 in Worksheet A = T&M I want this cell to equal A4 from worksheet A
3 if A1 in Worksheet A = T&M I want this cell to equal A5 from worksheet A
4 if A1 in Worksheet A = T&M I want this cell to equal A6 from worksheet A

If A1 is not = to T&M, I'd like A1:A4 to be left blank

Thanks!
Jana

Anne Troy

Link To Drop Down Menu

=if(isblank(a1),"",vlookup(yourvlookuphere))
Here's VLOOKUP:
and here's a very closely related tutorial:
http://www.officearticles.com/tutori...soft_excel.htm
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"JANA" wrote in message
[...]

DOR

Link To Drop Down Menu

In WorksheetB, A1, put

=IF(WorksheetA!A1="T&M",WorksheetA!A2,"")

and copy down as far as you need.

JANA

Link To Drop Down Menu

Thanks Anne, but I still can't get this to work. I tried VLOOKUP before I
posted the question, but it won't work. There is no problem with arguement
1, that should = A1. However in the example you sent me the range for
Arguement 2 must contain a column with the value in Arguement 1. I don't
have this in my example. In my case my range would be A3:A6 for the data I
want to pull, but there is no column with with the A2 data (in this case T&M
in that range). Therefore, I don't have a number to put in for Arguement 3
either. Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but if a Vlookup formula is possible,
can you please give me an example of the formula I would use given the data
in my example below.

=if(isblank(a1),"",vlookup(A1,A3:A6,1) - this doesn't work

Please note that in the real spreadsheet I'm using T&M is not really in cell
A1, but somewhere else on the spreadsheet like in cell W14. I put it in A1
in the example for simplicity.

Thanks I would appreciate your help again - I'm getting very frustrated
trying to get this to work.
Jana

"JANA" wrote in message
[...]

Send the file, girl. :)
anne@ (the website below)
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"JANA" wrote in message
[...]

Roger Govier

Link To Drop Down Menu

Hi

You are missing the Sheet references.
=if(isblank(Sheet1!$A$1),"",vlookup($A3,Sheet1!$A$ 3:$A$6,1,0)

You need the 4th argument in VLOOKUP, FALSE or 0 because your data in
Sheet1!A3:A6 is not in alphabetic order.
You also need to make your ranges Absolute, so they don't alter as you copy
the formula down the sheet.

Regards

Roger Govier