-   -   Sum if is only calculating one column (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/51974-sum-if-only-calculating-one-column.html)

KoriBustard

Sum if is only calculating one column

I am trying to calculate more data in more than one column with the sumif
function but it only adds up data in the first column. The formula I have is

=SUMIF($A$10:$A$12,$A1,B10:D12)

For some reason it only adds up data in column b and not columns b to d as
expected.

Is this unique to Excel 2003 as I believe I used to be able to do this in
older versions.

Peo Sjoblom

Sum if is only calculating one column

Not unique to 2003, all versions of sumif has this, one possible way

=SUMPRODUCT((A10:A12=A1)*(B10:D12))

Peo Sjoblom

"KoriBustard" wrote in message
I am trying to calculate more data in more than one column with the sumif
function but it only adds up data in the first column. The formula I have

is

=SUMIF($A$10:$A$12,$A1,B10:D12)

For some reason it only adds up data in column b and not columns b to d as
expected.

Is this unique to Excel 2003 as I believe I used to be able to do this in
older versions.

Richard Buttrey

Sum if is only calculating one column

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 09:36:16 -0700, "KoriBustard"
wrote:

I am trying to calculate more data in more than one column with the sumif
function but it only adds up data in the first column. The formula I have is

=SUMIF($A$10:$A$12,$A1,B10:D12)

For some reason it only adds up data in column b and not columns b to d as
expected.

Is this unique to Excel 2003 as I believe I used to be able to do this in
older versions.

{=SUM(($A$10:$A$12=A1)*(B10:D12))}

Array formula entered with CTRL SHIFT & Enter will achieve what you
want.

__
Richard Buttrey
Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK