-   -   How do I insert a leading zero? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/51850-how-do-i-insert-leading-zero.html)

Phil

How do I insert a leading zero?

Hello,

I have some text values (in Col C) that need 1 (one) leading zero put in:

I have some text values below:

306445854
250641222

which I want to look like:

0306445854
0250641222

How do I do this?

TIA for your replies.

Phil.

Nick Hodge

How do I insert a leading zero?

Phil

If they are preformatted as text, use a new column and enter

="0"&C1

and copy it down. If you want to replace the old values, just copy the new
ones and editpaste special...values the new over the old

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"Phil" wrote in message
Hello,

I have some text values (in Col C) that need 1 (one) leading zero put in:

I have some text values below:

306445854
250641222

which I want to look like:

0306445854
0250641222

How do I do this?

TIA for your replies.

Phil.

Gary''s Student

How do I insert a leading zero?

Select the cells and then pull-down:

Format Cells Number Custom and enter "0"General
--
Gary's Student

"Phil" wrote:

Hello,

I have some text values (in Col C) that need 1 (one) leading zero put in:

I have some text values below:

306445854
250641222

which I want to look like:

0306445854
0250641222

How do I do this?

TIA for your replies.

Phil.

Phil

How do I insert a leading zero?

Hi Nick,

I tried that, and it didn't work.

My cell for instance, is C639, contains the value: 301229650, which is
preformatted for text. When I go to the next col. D, I type in ="0"&C639.
But all it shows is the formula. Am I missing something?

"Phil" wrote in message
Hello,

I have some text values (in Col C) that need 1 (one) leading zero put in:

I have some text values below:

306445854
250641222

which I want to look like:

0306445854
0250641222

How do I do this?

TIA for your replies.

Phil.

Gord Dibben

How do I insert a leading zero?

Phil

Column D is most likely also formatted as text.

Re-format to General then re-enter the formula and drag/copy down.

OR hit CTRL + `(back quote) to turn off "Formula View"

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

"Phil" wrote in message
Hello,

I have some text values (in Col C) that need 1 (one) leading zero put in:

I have some text values below:

306445854
250641222

which I want to look like:

0306445854
0250641222

How do I do this?

TIA for your replies.

Phil.

Phil

How do I insert a leading zero?

Hello Gord,

You were right. I apprieciated your input.

Thank You.

"Phil" wrote in message
Hello,

I have some text values (in Col C) that need 1 (one) leading zero put in:

I have some text values below:

306445854
250641222

which I want to look like:

0306445854
0250641222

How do I do this?

TIA for your replies.

Phil.

Phil

How do I insert a leading zero?

Hi Nick,

After reading Gord's reply below I realized that he was right. I changed the
format, and it worked great after that.

I apprieciate your input.

Thank You.