-   -   percentage formula (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/51712-percentage-formula.html)

Gina

percentage formula

Please help with writing a formula. I have a list of numbers and need to
write a formula to show how many of them are over a certain value. Then I
need to know what percentage is over this value. Example: 13, 45, 25, 12,
56, 32, 08. how many of these are over 25 and what percentage of the total
is that?

[email protected]

percentage formula

"Gina" wrote:
Example: 13, 45, 25, 12, 56, 32, 08. how many of these
are over 25 and what percentage of the total is that?

Bear in mind that there are many ways to solve a problem.
Here is one that might fit your needs, using your example.

Put the values 13,...,08 into cells B1:B7. (I am reserving
column A for descriptive titles.) In C1, put the formula
=IF(B125,B1,""), and copy C1 to C2:C7. (That creates
the formula =IF(B225,B2,"") etc.) In B8, put the formula
=SUM(B1:B7), and copy B8 to C8. (That creates the
formula =SUM(C1:C7).) In D8, put the formula =C8/B8,
and format the cell as Percentage with 2 decimal places
(or whatever you want).

That meets your basic needs, and it allows you to see
what is happening numerically, as check.

There is a more direct approach. After putting the values
into B1:B7, put the following formula into any cell of your:
=SUMIF(B1:B7,"25")/SUM(B1:B7), and format the cell as
Percentage.

(You might want to use absolute cell references like $B$1,
which you can get by pressing F4.)

[email protected]

percentage formula

"Gina" wrote:
Please help with writing a formula. I have a list of numbers
and need to write a formula to show how many of them are
over a certain value. Then I need to know what percentage
is over this value. Example: 13, 45, 25, 12, 56, 32, 08. how
many of these are over 25 and what percentage of the total
is that?

Oops, I might have misinterpreted your requirement. In the
example, you would like to know that there are 3 over 25, and
that constitutes about 43% (3/7). Right?

Editing my previous response ....

Put the values 13,...,08 into cells B1:B7. (I am reserving
column A for descriptive titles.) In C1, put the formula
=IF(B125,1,""), and copy C1 to C2:C7. (That creates
the formula =IF(B225,1,"") etc.) In B8, put the formula
=COUNT(B1:B7); and in C8, put the formula =SUM(C1:C8).
In D8, put the formula =C8/B8, and format the cell as
Percentage with 2 decimal places (or whatever you want).

That meets your basic needs, and it allows you to see
what is happening numerically, as check.

There is a more direct approach. After putting the values
into B1:B7, put the following formula into any cell of your:
=COUNTIF(B1:B7,"25")/COUNT(B1:B7), and format the cell as
Percentage.

You might want to use absolute cell references like $B$1,
which you can get by pressing F4. And you might want to
put 25 into a cell, and refer to that cell instead of 25 in the
formulas.