-   -   Excel time formula (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/51667-excel-time-formula.html)

Dewey

Excel time formula

Is there a formula that can calculate the difference between two hour/minute
entries, such as converting the time between 4:00 and 5:15 is 1:25.
--
Dewey

Kevin Lehrbass

Excel time formula

Hi Dewey,

If 4:00 pm is in cell A1 and 5:15 pm is in cell A2, then in cell A3 put =A2-A1
Also, in cell A3, you must go to Format Cells, number tab, custom and enter
"[h]:mm".

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to send me an email.

Have a great weekend,
--
Kevin Lehrbass
www.spreadsheetsolutions4u.com

"Dewey" wrote:

Is there a formula that can calculate the difference between two hour/minute
entries, such as converting the time between 4:00 and 5:15 is 1:25.
--
Dewey

Sam

Excel time formula

Just do one minus the other. Or if you want absolute differences use
the ABS function.
= ABS(A1-B1)
this avoids the #### for negative times

Dewey

Excel time formula

Good job, Kevin. I actually miss read the instructions and put A1 in front
of A2 and it didn't work (######.) Then I switched the elements on my own
and it worked. I was already to "blame" you, but something told me to reread
your instructions. And of course you were exactly right.

I appreciate it.
--
Dewey

"Dewey" wrote:

Is there a formula that can calculate the difference between two hour/minute
entries, such as converting the time between 4:00 and 5:15 is 1:25.
--
Dewey

Dewey

Excel time formula

Thanks, Sam. Hey, could you follow up on an additional point? This is for a
time sheet that has columns for the days of the week and rows for the total
times. You answered my question for one day, but I need to add the
accumulated time for the week and show it in the Total column. So, I get
that 1:00 - 3:00 (A2-A1) will get me the difference in the Total column as
2:00. But, that's for one day. How do I create modify the formula for all 7
days to show up in the Total column?
--
Dewey

"Sam" wrote:

Just do one minus the other. Or if you want absolute differences use
the ABS function.
= ABS(A1-B1)
this avoids the #### for negative times

Fred Smith

Excel time formula

Why not just sum the column? You can sum times just like you can any other
number.

Fred