-   -   How do I sort in Excel by the no. of characters in a cell? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/51562-how-do-i-sort-excel-no-characters-cell.html)

yasmingeo

How do I sort in Excel by the no. of characters in a cell?

Hi there,

I have some alpha-numeric codes which I need to order in terms of how long
they are in characters. Ie. a 15-character code corresponds to a certain
item, so I would like them all grouped together.

Thanks,
Yasmin

Ron Rosenfeld

How do I sort in Excel by the no. of characters in a cell?

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 18:42:01 -0700, yasmingeo
wrote:

Hi there,

I have some alpha-numeric codes which I need to order in terms of how long
they are in characters. Ie. a 15-character code corresponds to a certain
item, so I would like them all grouped together.

Thanks,
Yasmin

If your codes are in B2:Bn, in an adjacent column enter the formula =LEN(B2)
and copy/drag down to row n. Then sort on this "helper" column.

--ron

yasmingeo

How do I sort in Excel by the no. of characters in a cell?

Thanks Ron, perfect, and so easy.
Much appreciated,
Yasmin

wrote:

Hi there,

I have some alpha-numeric codes which I need to order in terms of how long
they are in characters. Ie. a 15-character code corresponds to a certain
item, so I would like them all grouped together.

Thanks,
Yasmin

If your codes are in B2:Bn, in an adjacent column enter the formula =LEN(B2)
and copy/drag down to row n. Then sort on this "helper" column.

--ron

Ron Rosenfeld

How do I sort in Excel by the no. of characters in a cell?

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 20:58:02 -0700, yasmingeo
wrote:

Thanks Ron, perfect, and so easy.
Much appreciated,
Yasmin