-   -   Some 'Names' cannot be deleted by Insert|Name|Define-Delete button (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/51461-some-names-cannot-deleted-insert%7Cname%7Cdefine-delete-button.html)

David Iacoponi

Some 'Names' cannot be deleted by Insert|Name|Define-Delete button

(Excel 2000) we have spreadsheets with Names that somehow have square boxes
in front of them that we cannot delete with the macro we use, or with the
manual Delete button. As an aside, we can't edit the value associated with
the name, which might look like this
='R:\GENERAL\[MODEL_A1.XLS]DIAMOND'!#REF! Suggestions on how to do this via
VBA appreciated.

Dave Peterson

Some 'Names' cannot be deleted by Insert|Name|Define-Delete button

I think that Jan Karel Pieterse's (with Charles Williams and Matthew Henson)
Name Manager will clean up these kinds of names.

You can find it at:
NameManager.Zip from http://www.oaltd.co.uk/mvp

If you want to try to fix them yourself, you can try this:

Tools|Options|General tab
switch to R1C1 reference style.

close that dialog and
Then toggle right back to A1 reference style

You'll be prompted to fix each name. (maybe the prompt occurs at the toggle to
R1C1--I don't quite remember.)

But if you have lots of these, be prepared to answer a lot of prompts.

--

Dave Peterson