-   -   Groupings within PivotTables (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/51113-groupings-within-pivottables.html)

Fred

Groupings within PivotTables

I'm using XL2003 to chart cell phone usage by month. Each month I add data
to a worksheet, then use a pivot table to extract month by month data. I've
then tried to group the months by quarter, which worked fine until there
were about 3000 records in the source database; anything past that yields an
error saying that the data cannot be grouped.

I've also taken a worksheet that IS working properly, grouped by quarter
within the PivTab; when I simply add one line to the middle of the database
list, it again ungroups the table and claims that it cannot be grouped,
though there might only be 1000 records in the source.

Any hints?

Debra Dalgleish

Groupings within PivotTables

If there's a blank cell, or cell with text, in the date field, you won't
be able to group the dates.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List