-   -   Counting number of incidents of a month (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/51108-counting-number-incidents-month.html)

CD Web

Counting number of incidents of a month

I have a spreadsheet that has one named range 'DATE' which contains a date
in the format 01-MAR-05.

I have a summary sheet that I have each month listed in 12 cells (Jan to
Dec).
I want to read the DATE range, and count the number of occurances which fall
into each month.

Is this possible with a Excel funtion, or mixture of functions, or do I need
to write my own?

Thanks for any help.

Regards

Chris Darlington

Aladin Akyurek

Counting number of incidents of a month

What is an occurrence - a date in your DATE range or something else?

CD Web wrote:
I have a spreadsheet that has one named range 'DATE' which contains a date
in the format 01-MAR-05.

I have a summary sheet that I have each month listed in 12 cells (Jan to
Dec).
I want to read the DATE range, and count the number of occurances which fall
into each month.

Is this possible with a Excel funtion, or mixture of functions, or do I need
to write my own?

Thanks for any help.

Regards

Chris Darlington

Don Guillett

Counting number of incidents of a month

Have a look in help index for COUNTIF and MONTH

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"CD Web" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet that has one named range 'DATE' which contains a date
in the format 01-MAR-05.

I have a summary sheet that I have each month listed in 12 cells (Jan to
Dec).
I want to read the DATE range, and count the number of occurances which

fall
into each month.

Is this possible with a Excel funtion, or mixture of functions, or do I

need
to write my own?

Thanks for any help.

Regards

Chris Darlington

Don Guillett

Counting number of incidents of a month

Actually, if appears to be a bit more complicated so use this
=COUNT(IF(MONTH(A8:A2000)=9,A8:A2000))
This is an array formula so should be entered with ctrl+shift+enter
change the 9 to a1, a2, etc

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software