-   -   find Row (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/50450-find-row.html)

rocket0612

find Row

I currently use VLOOKUP to find the address for a company when their
name is input. It returns the address but I would also like it to
return the row it gets the details from, is this possible?

thanks

--
rocket0612
rocket0612's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=19492

Stefi

MATCH function returns row number!
Regards,
Stefi

€˛rocket0612€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

I currently use VLOOKUP to find the address for a company when their
name is input. It returns the address but I would also like it to
return the row it gets the details from, is this possible?

thanks

--
rocket0612
rocket0612's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=19492
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=476191

Bob Phillips

"Stefi" wrote in message
MATCH function returns row number!

No, it returns the index into the data. This could be the row number IF it
is vertical data, but may not (MATCH("123",A100:A110,0 will never be between
100 and 110).

Aladin Akyurek

find Row

rocket0612 wrote:
I currently use VLOOKUP to find the address for a company when their
name is input. It returns the address but I would also like it to
return the row it gets the details from, is this possible?

thanks

Given in A2:B4:

x,7
y,6
z,9

the formula:

=VLOOKUP("y",$A$2:$B$4,2,0)

would return 6.

=MATCH("y",$A$2:$A$4,0)

would return the position of the lookup value "y", therefore also of the
value associated with it.

=MATCH("y",$A$2:$A$4,0)+ROW($A$2)-1

would return the native row number at which "y" is.

=CELL("Address",INDEX($B$2:$B$4,MATCH("y",$A$2:$A$ 4,0)))

would return the cell reference of the value associated with "y".