-   -   Algebra (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/50397-algebra.html)

Ernst Guckel

Algebra

Hello,

Maybe I'm missing something but I am having a bit of trouble using excel
to solve an equation...

The Algebra is : GP = (P - C) / P

I know GP and I know C. I need to solve for P

GP is gross profit %
P is Price
C is Cost.

Anyone help me on this? Just drawing a blank...

Thanks,
Ernst.

TooSimple

From one among the algebraically challenged masses:

P = -C/(GP-1) ?

"Ernst Guckel" wrote:

Hello,

Maybe I'm missing something but I am having a bit of trouble using excel
to solve an equation...

The Algebra is : GP = (P - C) / P

I know GP and I know C. I need to solve for P

GP is gross profit %
P is Price
C is Cost.

Anyone help me on this? Just drawing a blank...

Thanks,
Ernst.

Roger Govier

Hi

Or even
P= C / (1-GP)
as it seems a little more intuitive than working with the concept of
negative Cost.

Regards

Roger Govier

TooSimple wrote:

From one among the algebraically challenged masses:

P = -C/(GP-1) ?

"Ernst Guckel" wrote:

Hello,

Maybe I'm missing something but I am having a bit of trouble using excel
to solve an equation...

The Algebra is : GP = (P - C) / P

I know GP and I know C. I need to solve for P

GP is gross profit %
P is Price
C is Cost.

Anyone help me on this? Just drawing a blank...

Thanks,
Ernst.

Jerry W. Lewis

Excel is not an algebraic manipulator. You can do the algebra yourself
(two equivalent solutions already posted) or you can use Solver to
numerically approximate the solution (which might be needed with more
complicated problems).

Jerry

Ernst Guckel wrote:

Hello,

Maybe I'm missing something but I am having a bit of trouble using excel
to solve an equation...

The Algebra is : GP = (P - C) / P

I know GP and I know C. I need to solve for P

GP is gross profit %
P is Price
C is Cost.

Anyone help me on this? Just drawing a blank...

Thanks,
Ernst.

Ernst Guckel

Thanks... Works great...

Ernst.

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi

Or even
P= C / (1-GP)
as it seems a little more intuitive than working with the concept of
negative Cost.

Regards

Roger Govier

TooSimple wrote: