-   -   cannot open files (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/49695-cannot-open-files.html)

ton

cannot open files

HELP,
After repairing XP Pro with supplied OS cd, none of my Excel files will
open. The message is "This file cannot be opened because your virus scanner
has found a problem with the file". The same thing is happening with every
single Word file in the system (Files are not available). Excel and Word file
repair facility does not make any difference nor does reinstalling Microsoft
Office 2003. Several virus scan reveal nothing and the rest of the programs
are working fine.
An suggestions. Many thanks.Ton

garfield-n-odie

Disable the Office Plugin that comes with Symantec/Norton
AntiVirus. See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329820 "How to
use Office programs with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in" for
more information.

ton wrote:

HELP,
After repairing XP Pro with supplied OS cd, none of my Excel files will
open. The message is "This file cannot be opened because your virus scanner
has found a problem with the file". The same thing is happening with every
single Word file in the system (Files are not available). Excel and Word file
repair facility does not make any difference nor does reinstalling Microsoft
Office 2003. Several virus scan reveal nothing and the rest of the programs
are working fine.
An suggestions. Many thanks.Ton

ton

Hi,
I just wanted to say a big "Thanks" for the info. supplied.
It did the trick but I still cannot understand why it should have happened
now.
I used Norton A/V in the past but had it uninstalled. Did the uninstalling
left something in the system?
Anyway, things are back to normal now and again many thanks for your help.
Tony.

ton wrote:

HELP,
After repairing XP Pro with supplied OS cd, none of my Excel files will
open. The message is "This file cannot be opened because your virus scanner
has found a problem with the file". The same thing is happening with every
single Word file in the system (Files are not available). Excel and Word file
repair facility does not make any difference nor does reinstalling Microsoft
Office 2003. Several virus scan reveal nothing and the rest of the programs
are working fine.
An suggestions. Many thanks.Ton

RWN

"I used Norton A/V in the past but had it uninstalled. Did the uninstalling
left something in the system?"

You *may* want to Google with "Uninstall Norton".
Never used it-heard too many stories-and after looking at the search results I'm glad I
didn't!

--
Regards;
Rob