-   -   INT Function (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/49680-int-function.html)

Dan (WA)

INT Function

I need the remainder results of a multiplication formula. The Function INT
should provide this results -- Excel Function Help for INT provide the
formula =A2-INT . I have tried this sever times but the results is alway the
same #Name... Is excel broken or what am i missing?

David Billigmeier

The INT() function truncates a decimal number down to it's integer part (i.e.
=INT(9.9 will return 9)

This doesn't sound like the function you want to use if you're looking for
remainders. Try using MOD()

Dave

"Dan (WA)" wrote:

I need the remainder results of a multiplication formula. The Function INT
should provide this results -- Excel Function Help for INT provide the
formula =A2-INT . I have tried this sever times but the results is alway the
same #Name... Is excel broken or what am i missing?

Fred Smith

You need to supply a parameter to the INT function. To get the portion to the
right of the decimal, use:

=a2-int(a2)

You can also get the same thing in one step with the Mod function:

=mod(a2,1)

Fred

"Dan (WA)" <Dan wrote in message
I need the remainder results of a multiplication formula. The Function INT
should provide this results -- Excel Function Help for INT provide the
formula =A2-INT . I have tried this sever times but the results is alway the
same #Name... Is excel broken or what am i missing?

Harlan Grove

Fred Smith wrote...
You need to supply a parameter to the INT function. To get the portion to the
right of the decimal, use:

=a2-int(a2)

You can also get the same thing in one step with the Mod function:

=mod(a2,1)

Use the INT formula. MOD is broken when quotients are large, e.g.,

=2^30/3-INT(2^30/3)

correctly returns 1/3 (approximately, accurate to only 7 decimal
digits), while

=MOD(2^30/3,1)

returns #NUM!.

Ron Rosenfeld

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 11:59:09 -0700, "Dan (WA)" <Dan
wrote:

I need the remainder results of a multiplication formula. The Function INT
should provide this results -- Excel Function Help for INT provide the
formula =A2-INT . I have tried this sever times but the results is alway the
same #Name... Is excel broken or what am i missing?

Actually, the formula in HELP is

=A2-INT(A2)

If you type in what you posted above

=A2-INT

you will get a #NAME? error.

An alternative formula, giving the same result, would be:

=MOD(A2,1)

--ron

Ron Rosenfeld

wrote:

I need the remainder results of a multiplication formula. The Function INT
should provide this results -- Excel Function Help for INT provide the
formula =A2-INT . I have tried this sever times but the results is alway the
same #Name... Is excel broken or what am i missing?

Actually, the formula in HELP is

=A2-INT(A2)

If you type in what you posted above

=A2-INT

you will get a #NAME? error.

An alternative formula, giving the same result, would be:

=MOD(A2,1)

--ron

However, as Harlan just pointed out (and which he has pointed out in the past,
but which I have forgotten), MOD does not work with large numbers, so INT would
be safer.

--ron

Dan (WA)

Thanks -- To all those who Help me see the errors of my ways.. So simple just
needed a kick start..
Dan