-   -   sort alphabebically ignoring preceeding symbols or numbers (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/48872-sort-alphabebically-ignoring-preceeding-symbols-numbers.html)

silver fox

sort alphabebically ignoring preceeding symbols or numbers

I have a column of data (Excel 2000) which I would like to sort
alphabetically. Some entries have a double asterisk preceeding the first
word (**word). I would like to alphabetize ignoring the double asterisk.

Ashish Mathur

Hi,

Try this. Seperate the ** from the text by using text to columns in the
data menu. Selct * in the "Other" box.

Now "word" will appear in the adjacent column. copy the others (non **)
also in the adjacent column and now sort.

Regards,

Ashish Mathur

"silver fox" wrote:

I have a column of data (Excel 2000) which I would like to sort
alphabetically. Some entries have a double asterisk preceeding the first
word (**word). I would like to alphabetize ignoring the double asterisk.

Barb Reinhardt

You could create a helper column which removes the ** and sort on that.