-   -   looking up figures in a column and selecting next highest match (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/48411-looking-up-figures-column-selecting-next-highest-match.html)

[email protected]

looking up figures in a column and selecting next highest match

How do I create a function tolook at a column of figures and select
either the match or the next highest. So if I have a column called
'current' and want to create a column called 'new', the function needs
to look at 'current', compare it with a list of figures and put the
closest higher figure from that list into the 'new' column.

Thanks
Jane

Vasant Nanavati

Let's say the list is in a named range called "List".

If your "current" column begins in A1 and the "new" column begins in B1,
enter the following formula in B1:

=A1+MIN(IF(List=A1,List-A1))

as an array formula with <Ctrl <Shift <Enter. Copy down as needed.

I'm sure there's a much simpler way but I can't figure one out at the
moment.

--

Vasant

wrote in message
oups.com...
How do I create a function tolook at a column of figures and select
either the match or the next highest. So if I have a column called
'current' and want to create a column called 'new', the function needs
to look at 'current', compare it with a list of figures and put the
closest higher figure from that list into the 'new' column.

Thanks
Jane

Harlan Grove

Vasant Nanavati wrote...
Let's say the list is in a named range called "List".

If your "current" column begins in A1 and the "new" column begins in B1,
enter the following formula in B1:

=A1+MIN(IF(List=A1,List-A1))

An alternative,

=MAX(A1,MIN(IF(List=A1,List)))

which is a bit more explicit that it returns A1 when A1 is strictly
greater than any values in List.

Vasant Nanavati

Hi Harlan:

I believe my formula does that too, unless I'm missing something (been known
to happen).
--

Vasant

"Harlan Grove" wrote in message