-   -   Conditional Formatting - Formula based (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/48360-conditional-formatting-formula-based.html)

Nick Danger

Conditional Formatting - Formula based

Just a question - I'm not sure exactly how to google what I want to
know.

I am interested in using conditional formatting, formula based, where
using a variable length sheet, compare column F values to adjacent
column G values - if F is greater than G, color H red, if F is less
than G color H blue.

I wasn't sure how to make it work for the whole column.

Ideas?

Ben/ND

David Billigmeier

In the first cell of your data in column H (Say its H1 for sake of example)
use these formulas, and drag down to the end of your data:

In the first condition:
=F1G1
and make this formatting Red

Then, make a second condition (formula based again) and enter this formula:
=G1F1
and make this formatting Blue.

Dave

"Nick Danger" wrote:

Just a question - I'm not sure exactly how to google what I want to
know.

I am interested in using conditional formatting, formula based, where
using a variable length sheet, compare column F values to adjacent
column G values - if F is greater than G, color H red, if F is less
than G color H blue.

I wasn't sure how to make it work for the whole column.

Ideas?

Ben/ND

Ray A

One way
Highlight column H FormatConditional Formating Condition 1Formula is
=if(F1G1,true,false) format color to red
Condition 2 formula is
=if(G1F1,true,false) format color to blue
Use ctrl + enter
HTH

"Nick Danger" wrote:

Just a question - I'm not sure exactly how to google what I want to
know.

I am interested in using conditional formatting, formula based, where
using a variable length sheet, compare column F values to adjacent
column G values - if F is greater than G, color H red, if F is less
than G color H blue.

I wasn't sure how to make it work for the whole column.

Ideas?

Ben/ND

David Billigmeier

Ray -
You don't need to use the IF() statement. The function =F1G1 (or =G1F1
for the second) will output the same thing.

Dave

"Nick Danger" wrote:

Just a question - I'm not sure exactly how to google what I want to
know.

I am interested in using conditional formatting, formula based, where
using a variable length sheet, compare column F values to adjacent
column G values - if F is greater than G, color H red, if F is less
than G color H blue.

I wasn't sure how to make it work for the whole column.

Ideas?

Ben/ND

Nick Dangr

Worked like a charm. Don't know why I didn't think it'd be so
simple!!! Thanks very much!

Ben / ND