-   -   Convert SERIAL date back into dd/mm/yy format? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/47705-convert-serial-date-back-into-dd-mm-yy-format.html)

Aussie CPA

Convert SERIAL date back into dd/mm/yy format?

I'm wanting to use the edate function.
Does anyone know how I can convert the edate answer back into dd/mm/yyyy in
the cell contents rather than with formatting.

Ron Rosenfeld

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 19:29:01 -0700, "Aussie CPA"
wrote:

I'm wanting to use the edate function.
Does anyone know how I can convert the edate answer back into dd/mm/yyyy in
the cell contents rather than with formatting.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but perhaps:

=TEXT(EDATE(A1,1),"dd/mm/yyyy")

--ron

Biff

Hi!

This will keep the date numeric: (if you need to do further calcs)

=DATE(YEAR(EDATE(A1,1)),MONTH(EDATE(A1,1)),DAY(EDA TE(A1,1)))

This will return a TEXT string:

=TEXT(EDATE(A1,1),"dd/mm/yyyy")

Biff

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 22:46:31 -0400, "Biff" wrote:

Hi!

This will keep the date numeric: (if you need to do further calcs)

=DATE(YEAR(EDATE(A1,1)),MONTH(EDATE(A1,1)),DAY(ED ATE(A1,1)))

How does that formula differ from:

=EDATE(A1,1)

?????

--ron

Myrna Larson

I am curious. Why do you want text in the cell rather than a formatted date?
If you do this, you can not do further date arithmetic with the value unless
you use the DATEVALUE function.

wrote:

I'm wanting to use the edate function.
Does anyone know how I can convert the edate answer back into dd/mm/yyyy in
the cell contents rather than with formatting.

Biff

=DATE(YEAR(EDATE(A1,1)),MONTH(EDATE(A1,1)),DAY(ED ATE(A1,1)))
How does that formula differ from:
=EDATE(A1,1)

It doesn't as far as the value returned.

The longer redundant formula will return the auto formatted value versus
Edate returning the serial date. I wasn't sure about what the OP was really
asking for. I read that maybe for some reason they couldn't format the
result of Edate. That's why I also included the Text function.

Biff

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 18:16:01 -0400, "Biff" wrote:

It doesn't as far as the value returned.

The longer redundant formula will return the auto formatted value versus
Edate returning the serial date. I wasn't sure about what the OP was really
asking for. I read that maybe for some reason they couldn't format the
result of Edate. That's why I also included the Text function.

That autoformatting could be handy. I wonder why EDATE doesn't autoformat
whereas the DATE function does. Possibly an affect of native code vs an
add-in.
--ron