-   -   repeating a character across the width of a column (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/47683-repeating-character-across-width-column.html)

gvm

repeating a character across the width of a column

I've seen it done that a single character was entered into a cell (eg a dash)
and the effect was that the entire cell width was filled with a repetition of
that character. If I widen the cell, more characters appear.

How is this done please?
TIA, Greg

Biff

Hi!

One way:

=REPT("-",255)

However, if the cell to the immediate right is empty then the dashes will
overflow into other columns.

Biff

"gvm" wrote in message
I've seen it done that a single character was entered into a cell (eg a
dash)
and the effect was that the entire cell width was filled with a repetition
of
that character. If I widen the cell, more characters appear.

How is this done please?
TIA, Greg

Dave Peterson

format|cells|alignment tab|horizontal text alignment box|Fill

Is another way.

--

Dave Peterson

Biff

I was looking for that but couldn't remember where it was!

Biff

gvm wrote:

I've seen it done that a single character was entered into a cell (eg a
dash)
and the effect was that the entire cell width was filled with a
repetition of
that character. If I widen the cell, more characters appear.

How is this done please?
TIA, Greg

--

Dave Peterson