-   -   Position of a cell in a range (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/47349-position-cell-range.html)

zangief

Position of a cell in a range

I need to return the position of a cell in a list. For example, I have
the list:

I need a funciton that will tell me if D is the first cell, second,
third, etc...

Thanks.

--
zangief
zangief's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27560

BenjieLop

zangief Wrote:
I need to return the position of a cell in a list. For example, I have
the list:

I need a funciton that will tell me if D is the first cell, second,
third, etc...

Thanks.

ASSUMING your entries are in Column A (A1:A6), try this formula

=\"A\"&SUMPRODUCT(($A$1:$A$6=\"D\")*(ROW($A$1:$A$6 )))

and see if this is what you need.

Regards.

--
BenjieLop

BenjieLop's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=11019
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=470999

Aladin Akyurek

=MATCH("D",A2:A7,0)

zangief wrote:
I need to return the position of a cell in a list. For example, I have
the list:

I need a funciton that will tell me if D is the first cell, second,
third, etc...

Thanks.

--

[1] The SumProduct function should implicitly coerce the truth values to
their Excel numeric equivalents.

Aladin Akyurek

BenjieLop wrote:
zangief Wrote:

I need to return the position of a cell in a list. For example, I have
the list:

I need a funciton that will tell me if D is the first cell, second,
third, etc...

Thanks.

ASSUMING your entries are in Column A (A1:A6), try this formula

=\"A\"&SUMPRODUCT(($A$1:$A$6=\"D\")*(ROW($A$1:$A$6 )))

and see if this is what you need.

What happens if you have more than one D in the target range?

BenjieLop

<< What happens if you have more than one D in the target range?

Unfortunately, the formula I suggested only works for unique entries in
a column. Thank you for pointing it out.

Regards.