-   -   Help with Sick time accrual formula for pausing when a max is reachedand resuming when time is used (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/454091-help-sick-time-accrual-formula-pausing-when-max-reachedand-resuming-when-time-used.html)

Emylie

Help with Sick time accrual formula for pausing when a max is reachedand resuming when time is used

Hello,
I work in HR and assistance with my excel spreadsheet for accruals. I have it set up that on each sheet there are three tables, Vacation, Sick, and Personal. (This allows me to see all of one employees available time easily.) My problem is that we have a max amount on our accrued Sick time. We can only have 480 hours. I need to know how to rework/tweek my formula in the accrued column. You can see below the formula I currently use. For most staff this is sufficient, but I recently had a staff hit our max amount of sick time and need a better formula.

Sick Available Hours Used Date of Used Accrued Sick Remaining
106.39 3.69 110.08
110.08 9.75 1/11- 1/12/17 3.69 104.02
104.02 3.69 107.71
107.71 3.69 111.4
111.4 12.5 2/22/, 3/1/17 3.69 102.59
102.59 2.75 3/6/2017 3.69 103.53
103.53 12.75 3/23, 3/31/17 3.69 94.47
94.47 3.69 98.16
98.16 8 4/17/2017 3.69 93.85
93.85 3.69 97.54
97.54 8 5/22/2017 3.69 93.23
93.23 3.69 96.92
96.92 3.69 100.61

Currently my "Accrued" column in my table has this formula:

=IF(Table25910[[#This Row],[Accrual Date]]$V$4,$U$14,0)

$V$4 = Anniversary date
$U$14 = 3.69 hrs of accrual

I would like to know how to write the formula so that it will accrue at the regular rate of 3.69 each payperiod until someone reaches the max 480 hours. At that point I would need it to only add the amount needed to get to the 480 as well as not add any accrued time while the employee stays at the 480. Then to begin adding the accrued amount back once they use below the 480 hours.
Each payperiod is a line and I would need to keep up with adding in the date of the end of each payperiod .

I do know that I can do a MIN in the Sick Remaining column, but it still shows an accrual amount. I'd rather set the formula up in the accrued column.
Any help would be fantastic.

Emylie

On Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 8:38:15 AM UTC-5, Emylie wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure why it messed up the spacing on the example of my table.

MyVeryOwnSelf[_3_]

[...]

One possibility is the calculate "sick remaining" first and then calculate "accrued" as "'sick remaining' minus 'previous sick remaining'"

Calculating the new "sick remaining" first could incorporate your above IF(...) expression, and use MIN(), something like
=MIN(((previous row's sick remaining)
- 'hours used'
+ IF(Table25910[...]$V$4,$U$14,0)),
480)

Then the "accrued" calculation is just the difference between two cells:
"sick remaining" minus "previous sick remaining"