-   -   Need to compare 2 tables to generate 3rd table (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/45236-need-compare-2-tables-generate-3rd-table.html)

Kevin

Need to compare 2 tables to generate 3rd table

I have a table with a list of items and another table that explains what each
item is.

How do I have excel compare the 2 tables and generate a 3rd table with the
items and description matched up?

thanks
-kev

southerntwangqt

Ok.
Maybe this is finite and you already know this but here it goes. In order to
have an automatic response for the third table. You have to enter in a
dedicated formula in the column in the third table. Let's say for example on
your first table A:1 represents the number of hours "so-so" has left on a
work order on your second table the column let's say F:1 represents the
number of hours they put in on that day. On your third column you must go to
the select cell (or column) and enter a formula on the first cell of the
column. Ex. =A1-F1 . You can also click on the blank taskbar at the top of
the screen and click Fx (function) and choose your function. You activate all
this function in all cells in the column, just highlight the column and THEN
click on function. Hope this helps, sorry if you already knew this.