Old July 8th 16, 10:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Nested IF AND returning #VALUE!

Hi Garry,

Am Fri, 08 Jul 2016 09:22:59 -0400 schrieb GS:

Wizard!!!

I don't like nested IF formulas. Easily you lose track of things.
With the latest update of Excel 2016 there is the function IFS where
you can insert 127 arguments. What a nonsense.

Regards
Claus B.

I totally agree! I've even taken to using INDEX/MATCH in VBA because it
obviates extra loops...

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

---

Old July 9th 16, 07:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Friday, July 8, 2016 at 2:22:49 PM UTC-4, Claus Busch wrote:
Hi Paul,

Am Fri, 8 Jul 2016 10:13:15 -0700 (PDT) schrieb Paul Doucette:

127?!? Agreed. Too convoluted. I need to learn how to use the Index and Match functions. It appears much more straightforward... but I will have to do some studying. Right now I only know that it works, not how.

from the beginning on:
The formula for INDEX is
=INDEX(range, row, column)
So you only have one column column is not needed.
You have to find the row of your range. Therefore I converted your
boolean values with the double minus to numeric values.
--TRUE=1
--FALSE=0
Then I combined both cells with the ampersand
--TRUE&--TRUE="11"
--FALSE&--TRUE="01"
and so on.
Using the ampersand the result becomes text. That is why it is in quotes
into the array.
=MATCH(---ER18&--ET18,{"11","01","10","00"},0)
looks for your combination of your cells
If you have in ER18 TRUE and in ET18 FALSE you get "10".
MATCH finds this value in third place of the array.
So your expected output is the third row of your range which is ER24.

Regards
Claus B.
--
Windows10
Office 2016

Claus; Thank you for explaining. I would never have figured it out on my own. Again, genius... or at least approaching it. I will attempt Index and Match rather than If's next time!!! I greatly appreciate your time and kindness!!!
Best, Paul