-   -   VBA question When I search to replace parentheses in excel it givesme "-" sign (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/450935-vba-question-when-i-search-replace-parentheses-excel-givesme-sign.html)

[email protected]

VBA question When I search to replace parentheses in excel it givesme "-" sign

To whom it may concern,

I have this issue with one of my VBA files and I just can't figure it out. I have this search and replace macro that does a good job but I can't figure out why it places a negative (-) sign on values without a space after the parentheses. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Start example
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Finished example
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Sub Discus_Fix()
'
' Discus_Fix Macro
' Replaces redundant information on Discus AS9102 Report

Cells.Replace What:="note: ", Replacement:="", LookAt:=xlPart, _
SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False, _
ReplaceFormat:=False

End Sub

GS[_6_]

[...]

Your data cells contain text, but are not formatted as 'Text'. Thus,
Excel is evaluating (.140) as a number where the parenthesis indicate a
negative value. Thus, your data alignment is changed to numeric and
displays in your default format for a negative value.

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

[email protected]

VBA question When I search to replace parentheses in excel itgives me "-" sign

Hello Garry,

I appreciate your support. My entire workbook is formatted as "Text" and when I run the macro it converts (.140) to -0.14 and I see the error telling me "Number Stored as Text". Is there a way I can work around this issue?

Thanks

GS[_6_]

VBA question When I search to replace parentheses in excel it gives me "-" sign

Hello Garry,

I appreciate your support. My entire workbook is formatted as "Text"
and when I run the macro it converts (.140) to -0.14 and I see the
error telling me "Number Stored as Text". Is there a way I can work
around this issue?

Thanks

I don't get this conversion behavior when I 'set' the cells to 'Text'
on the 'Number' tab of the FormatCells dialog. Perhaps you could
'deliberately' format all cells before replacing...

Cells.NumberFormat = "@"
Cells.Replace...

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

[email protected]

VBA question When I search to replace parentheses in excel itgives me "-" sign

Hello Garry,

I'd like to thank you for your input and ideas. It finally worked. This is a reference dimension so by putting "REF" at the end it finally solve my issue. It finally sees it as text only :-)

Thanks again