Junior Member

Default Payroll calculations

So I'm equipped with a very basic working knowledge of excel, and I decided to try and help my mother with a more automated payroll calculator using excel. I've had no issues doing the formulas I wanted to figure the gross income, IRA/Social/Medicare withdrawals as well as figuring the net income after the IRA/Social/Medicare. These were all fairly simple and straightforward. My issue comes when I get to the federal and state tax withdrawals. My thought I could get by with an individual table for each employee based solely on number of dependents, and then just use a IF function to fill in the amount withheld based on if the aforementioned net is between two values.

My thinking was to have a side table like this where the P column is the low end of each wage, the R is the corresponding high value, and the R column is the withholding allowance claimed.
-----P-----Q----R
3 $565 $575 3
4 $575 $585 4
5 $585 $595 5

From there my "net" value is judged between the values on each row of the table and then puts the designated allowance in the main table.

Hopefully this is is enough to explain what I'm trying to do. Like I said I'm not very experienced with excel, and I'm not even sure if this is the best way to handle this situation.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Have a look here at TaxCalculator_IRS.xls...

https://app.box.com/s/23yqum8auvzx17h04u4f

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!