-   -   Formula to tell day of week (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/448591-formula-tell-day-week.html)

wabbleknee

Formula to tell day of week

I have a list of dates and I want to know what day of the week that is. I
have tried WORKDAY and was able to produce numbers between 1-7 (1=Sunday
etc) Then I must convert that number to day. Seems way to much to just get
the day of week.

i.e.
A1 B1 (expected result)
2/14/2013 Thursday
3/1/1013 Friday
3/3/2013 Sunday

Suggestions appreciated

Mazzaropi

Quote:

Originally Posted by wabbleknee (Post 1611182)
I have a list of dates and I want to know what day of the week that is. I
have tried WORKDAY and was able to produce numbers between 1-7 (1=Sunday
etc) Then I must convert that number to day. Seems way to much to just get
the day of week.

i.e.
A1 B1 (expected result)
2/14/2013 Thursday
3/1/1013 Friday
3/3/2013 Sunday
Suggestions appreciated

Help from Brazil
Good evening wabbleknee.

You´re in the right way.
..........A...................B1---------------------B1
1..02/14/2013.......=WEEKDAY(A1,1)----5
2..03/01/2013.......=WEEKDAY(A2,1)----5
3..03/03/2013.......=WEEKDAY(A3,1)----1
Now that you´ve obtained an answer with the WEEKDAY function, simply FORMAT the result cell, at menu format with: Personalized -- dddd

The result will be like this one below:
..........A...................B1
1..02/14/2013.......thursday
2..03/01/2013.......thursday
3..03/03/2013.......sunday

Try this one and tell me if it worked for you.

Have a nice Day.

Claus Busch

Formula to tell day of week

Hi,

Am Thu, 11 Apr 2013 21:02:22 -0400 schrieb wabbleknee:

A1 B1 (expected result)
2/14/2013 Thursday
3/1/1013 Friday
3/3/2013 Sunday

in B1:
=TEXT(A1,"dddd")
or
=A1 and custom numberformat "dddd"

Regards
Claus Busch
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2

Mazzaropi

Greetings from Brazil
Hi Claus Busch

Your suggestion =TEXT(A1,"dddd") is very good. The best of all.

Have a nice day.

wabbleknee

Formula to tell day of week

Tx, some things are so simple :-)