Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Function for summing or counting cells based on a specified fill color

Hi

I would like to create and run a function that Sums or counts cells based on a specified fill color, for e.g. say i have a green fill in Cell B1 and I have different fill colours in Range (A1:A10)

I would like to know how many cells in (A1:A10) have the same green fill as in Cell B1

Thanks

San

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shriil View Post
Hi

I would like to create and run a function that Sums or counts cells based on a specified fill color, for e.g. say i have a green fill in Cell B1 and I have different fill colours in Range (A1:A10)

I would like to know how many cells in (A1:A10) have the same green fill as in Cell B1

Thanks

San
See the attached file code has been sourced from http://www.ozgrid.com/VBA/sum-count-cells-by-color.htm

Hope this helps
Attached Files
File Type: zip OzGridSumCount.zip (14.7 KB, 38 views)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi San

Here's something quick n dirty, but it does what you're looking for.

It's essentially requires you to employ helper cells to do the math.

A1 is the cell in which you change the color you wish to count.

Adjust the ranges to suit your requirements.

Sub CountColor()

Dim cRange As Range, cSum As Range
Dim cCell As Range, tCell As Range
Dim c As Range

Set cRange = Range("C1:C10") 'your color range
Set cCell = Range("A1") 'base color to count
Set cSum = Range("D1:D10") 'apply number to matching color
Set tCell = Range("B1") 'Sum Total matching colors

For Each c In cRange
If Not c.Interior.Color < cCell.Interior.Color Then
c.Offset(0, 1).Value = 1
End If
Next c

tCell = WorksheetFunction.Sum(cSum)

End Sub

Someone else may be able to give it a crew-cut to improve.

HTH
Mick.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Tuesday, February 26, 2013 1:05:50 PM UTC+5:30, shriil wrote:
Hi I would like to create and run a function that Sums or counts cells based on a specified fill color, for e.g. say i have a green fill in Cell B1 and I have different fill colours in Range (A1:A10) I would like to know how many cells in (A1:A10) have the same green fill as in Cell B1 Thanks San

Thanks a lot guys for your help

San