-   -   AverageIf function with multiple columns (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/447001-averageif-function-multiple-columns.html)

wolf8girl

AverageIf function with multiple columns

Hello!

I'm trying to determine the average utility costs at my place of business. I have a spreadsheet set up as such:
Column A: The utility name--Electric, Gas, Water
Column B: The month paid
Column C: The amount paid

How do I get an average of the Electric? I can't seem to get the AverageIf function to work whereby if column A is "Electric" then include column C's amount on that row in with the average.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks,
w8g

Ron Rosenfeld[_2_]

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 21:16:52 +0000, wolf8girl wrote:

Hello!

I'm trying to determine the average utility costs at my place of
business. I have a spreadsheet set up as such:
Column A: The utility name--Electric, Gas, Water
Column B: The month paid
Column C: The amount paid

How do I get an average of the Electric? I can't seem to get the
AverageIf function to work whereby if column A is "Electric" then
include column C's amount on that row in with the average.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks,
w8g

If all that is in column A is Electric, then:

=AVERAGEIF(A:A,"Electric",C:C)

If Electric is only part of what's there, then add wildcards:

=AVERAGEIF(A:A,"*Electric*",C:C)