-   -   Longtitude and Latitude Question (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/445798-longtitude-latitude-question.html)

Mastermind4real

Longtitude and Latitude Question

I am currently working on this project at work and I need help. I have about 100 different variables with lats and long assigned to them. I used the equation below to find the distance from point a to point b, but now I am trying to come up with an additional equation that when I pick one of the variables, I can enter whatever miles I want and it will return all variables with lats and long within that circumference of the distance that I've entered. The equation I used for finding the miles is below:

=ACOS(COS(RADIANS(90- LATITUDE OF A)) *COS(RADIANS(90- LATITUDE OF B)) +SIN(RADIANS(90- LATITUDE OF A)) *SIN(RADIANS(90- LATITUDE OF B)) *COS(RADIANS(LATITUDE OF A- LONGTITUDE OF B))) *3958.756

Cimjet[_3_]

Longtitude and Latitude Question

Hi
Check this link, it maybe usefull to you.
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/LatLong.aspx
HTH
Cimjet

--
Mastermind4real

Mastermind4real

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cimjet[_3_] (Post 1600925)
[...]

it seems that is trying to find the distance from point A to point B and not tell me what I am trying to solve. I am trying to find Places within a distance of a know point

Mastermind4real

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mastermind4real (Post 1600906)
I am currently working on this project at work and I need help. I have about 100 different variables with lats and long assigned to them. I used the equation below to find the distance from point a to point b, but now I am trying to come up with an additional equation that when I pick one of the variables, I can enter whatever miles I want and it will return all variables with lats and long within that circumference of the distance that I've entered. The equation I used for finding the miles is below:

=ACOS(COS(RADIANS(90- LATITUDE OF A)) *COS(RADIANS(90- LATITUDE OF B)) +SIN(RADIANS(90- LATITUDE OF A)) *SIN(RADIANS(90- LATITUDE OF B)) *COS(RADIANS(LATITUDE OF A- LONGTITUDE OF B))) *3958.756

it seems that the resource you gave me is trying to find the distance from point A to point B and not tell me what I am trying to solve. I am trying to find Places within a distance of a know point

cubbybear3

Longtitude and Latitude Question

Mastermind4real,

You have a couple of errors in the last line (as displayed) of your
formula.
It should be Longitude A (not Latitude A) also the constant should be
3440.065 not 3958.756.

-pb

cubbybear3

On Apr 20, 3:34*pm, cubbybear3 wrote:
Mastermind4real,

You have a couple of errors in the last line (as displayed) of your
formula.
It should be Longitude A (not Latitude A) also the constant should be
3440.065 not 3958.756.

-pb

Oop's, my mistake, 3958.756 is correct for Statute miles, 3440.065 is
for nautical miles.
-pb