-   -   Multi - Level Question involving Data Mapping and Formulation (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/44130-multi-level-question-involving-data-mapping-formulation.html)

[email protected]

Multi - Level Question involving Data Mapping and Formulation

First of all, to get this out of the way, I am completely ignorant to
the power of excel. I am a basic user with an expert level task to
complete.

I am exporting a file out of MS Project and am capturing the Unique ID,
Task Name, Unique Pred, Unique Succ, Duration Columns (and so on and so
on). The purpose for exporting the uniq columns is because I have 3
integrated schedules with external logic between them. My goal is to
import these schedules into Primavera. Primavera will not grab the
external logic within these projects. I've found a way to do this but
it involves prep'ing the data in excel.

After I filter for tasks that have external links I get stuck. What I
need to do next is change the external pred/succ ID# from
c:\project\555 to G555. To make this more complicated, I need to create
a duplicate of the task to make sure that each task has only one pred
or only one succ.

Here is an example:
BEFO
Task: Please help Pred(s)C:\Project1\4, C:\Project2\7, 45
Succ (s) C:\Project1\8, 89

AFTER: (excel view)
Task: Please help Pred: G4
Task: Please help Pred: C7
Task: Please help Pred: I45
Task: Please help Succ: G8
Task: Please help Succ: I89

Should I do a global find and replace first? (to add the G's, C's, and
I's) Once that is done, is there a way I can automate duplicating the
task with a one to one relationship with a pred or succ?

Sorry for the long sob story, hope somebody out there can help me out.