-   -   I need help quick! Formula (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/43709-i-need-help-quick-formula.html)

Cherry

I need help quick! Formula

I am trying to find the right formula and can't. I have to figure MPG. I
have the correct answer just not the formula. I am supposed to be able to
change the first part to match the second. 1.50 = 27 MPG 1.65 = 29.7 MPG.
What would I use?

Don Guillett

homework due is it?

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Cherry" wrote in message
I am trying to find the right formula and can't. I have to figure MPG. I
have the correct answer just not the formula. I am supposed to be able to
change the first part to match the second. 1.50 = 27 MPG 1.65 = 29.7 MPG.
What would I use?

Harlan Grove

Don Guillett wrote...
homework due is it?

Sadly I'd bet the OP finished school and spent all the time during
Algrbra class wondering when it would ever be useful.

Cherry

That was rude. I am not very experienced with the excel thank you...I have
been out of school for 10 yrs. I just need advice...Which you didn't help at
all..Thank you for nothing.

"Don Guillett" wrote:

homework due is it?

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Cherry" wrote in message
I am trying to find the right formula and can't. I have to figure MPG. I
have the correct answer just not the formula. I am supposed to be able to
change the first part to match the second. 1.50 = 27 MPG 1.65 = 29.7 MPG.
What would I use?

Don Guillett

see harlans answer

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Cherry" wrote in message
That was rude. I am not very experienced with the excel thank you...I

have
been out of school for 10 yrs. I just need advice...Which you didn't help

at
all..Thank you for nothing.

"Don Guillett" wrote:

homework due is it?

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Cherry" wrote in message
I am trying to find the right formula and can't. I have to figure

MPG. I
have the correct answer just not the formula. I am supposed to be

able to
change the first part to match the second. 1.50 = 27 MPG 1.65 = 29.7

MPG.
What would I use?

Don Guillett

OK try
=a1*18

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Cherry" wrote in message
I am trying to find the right formula and can't. I have to figure MPG. I
have the correct answer just not the formula. I am supposed to be able to
change the first part to match the second. 1.50 = 27 MPG 1.65 = 29.7 MPG.
What would I use?

Harlan Grove

Don Guillett wrote...
OK try
=a1*18

!

Tushar Mehta

In article ,
says...
I am trying to find the right formula and can't. I have to figure MPG. I
have the correct answer just not the formula. I am supposed to be able to
change the first part to match the second. 1.50 = 27 MPG 1.65 = 29.7 MPG.
What would I use?

You can reverse engineer the solution yourself.

Since you know that 1.5 somehow maps to 27 and 1.65 to 29.7, try two
simple possibilities: 1.5 + x = 27 and 1.5 * x =27. There are any
number of more sophisticated functions one could try but hopefully the
additive or multiplicative model will suffice.

For each answer check if it fits into the 2nd equation.

From the first possiblity, x= 25.5. Plugging that into the 2nd
equation would yield 1.65 + 25.5 = 27.15. Clearly that is not equal to
29.7.

From the 2nd possibility, x = 27/1.5. Does that result work in the 2nd
equation?

Tushar Mehta