-   -   Counting rows containing data (both numbers and text) (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/42848-counting-rows-containing-data-both-numbers-text.html)

mconnolly

Counting rows containing data (both numbers and text)

I've got numerous spreadsheets containing approx. 30K rows of data, with
blank rows used to seperate groups of data.

I need to count how many rows contain data, without counting the blank rows.

I think it's probably a COUNT IF function, but I'm not sure.

I'm not a very advanced user, so please be very specific in your reply.

Thank You

KL

I would say it shoud be COUNTA rather than COUNTIF. Try something like:

=COUNTA(A:A)

to count non-empty cells in the column [A]

Regards,
KL

"mconnolly" wrote in message
I've got numerous spreadsheets containing approx. 30K rows of data, with
blank rows used to seperate groups of data.

I need to count how many rows contain data, without counting the blank
rows.

I think it's probably a COUNT IF function, but I'm not sure.

I'm not a very advanced user, so please be very specific in your reply.

Thank You

JE McGimpsey

One way:

If every filled row has a value in column A:

=COUNTA(A:A)

In article ,
mconnolly wrote:

I've got numerous spreadsheets containing approx. 30K rows of data, with
blank rows used to seperate groups of data.

I need to count how many rows contain data, without counting the blank rows.

I think it's probably a COUNT IF function, but I'm not sure.

I'm not a very advanced user, so please be very specific in your reply.

Thank You

David Hepner

Try:

=counta(a1:a100)

"mconnolly" wrote:

I've got numerous spreadsheets containing approx. 30K rows of data, with
blank rows used to seperate groups of data.

I need to count how many rows contain data, without counting the blank rows.

I think it's probably a COUNT IF function, but I'm not sure.

I'm not a very advanced user, so please be very specific in your reply.

Thank You

Duke Carey

Use the COUNTA() function, i.e.,

=COUNTA(A1:A30000)