-   -   add leading "0" (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/42648-add-leading-%220%22.html)

blt

add leading "0"

How can I mass add a 0 to a field.

example: 544 = 0544 But I have about 2000 lines and I would like to mass
add them.

Gary's Student

Let's assume that the cells are in a column (say A):
1. insert a helper column near by
2. format the cells in the helper column as text
3. in the helper column insert
="0"&A1
4. copy this down
5. copy the helper column and paste it as value back into Column A.

You can avoid this if all your numbers are of fixed length, then use custom
formatting:

Format Cells Number Custom

and enter as many zeros as you like
--
Gary's Student

"blt" wrote:

How can I mass add a 0 to a field.

example: 544 = 0544 But I have about 2000 lines and I would like to mass
add them.

Ashish Mathur

Hi,

Try this as well. You will not need a helper column

Select the cells and do a Ctrl+1

Now go to custom in the Number tab and click on General on the RHS

Before general add the following (with the quotes) - "0"

Regards,

Ashish Mathur

"blt" wrote:

How can I mass add a 0 to a field.

example: 544 = 0544 But I have about 2000 lines and I would like to mass
add them.

Gary's Student

Ashish:

Your solution is very good. It adds the leading zero to any size number and
still leaves it a number suitable for calculations,
--
Gary's Student