-   -   In Excel,how do I lookup a value and assign it to a list? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/42342-excel-how-do-i-lookup-value-assign-list.html)

Paul

In Excel,how do I lookup a value and assign it to a list?

Hi, I have a large list of multiple different types of items. I want to
asign each item a code that I have created. There are about 5,000 items and
I need to apply about 30 codes. It seems simple enough biut I can't figure
it out. Thanks!

Bernie Deitrick

Paul,

What is the logic for applying the code? There's just too many possibilities to consider, to begin
offering solutions....

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP