-   -   Format not Really What It Pretends to Be (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/41317-format-not-really-what-pretends.html)

VAF

Format not Really What It Pretends to Be

When I download or import into Excel, I often have columns that arent really
in the format they should be in. For instance, you can format a column as a
date and the numbers look like a date, but you cant sort or do a VLookup on
the field. The only way I can get Excel to recognize the column as a date
(or number, or whatever) is to F2 and enter through each cell in the column.
This is OK with a sheet that is 10 €“ 20 rows long, but Im working with
files that are thousands of rows long, and having to F2 and enter through
each cell is too much.

Does anyone have any idea how to shorten this process?

Duke Carey

Usually works if you copy a blank cell, select the offending data, and use
Edit-Paste Special-Add