-   -   How do I use the "Proper" function? The instructions are vague. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/40905-how-do-i-use-%22proper%22-function-instructions-vague.html)

Polly

How do I use the "Proper" function? The instructions are vague.

I am trying to use the proper function in a large list. When I try to use the
proper function, the returned result is "0".

If cell A2 contains billy BoB thoRton, would the function be:
=Proper(a2) and would I enter this function in cell A2?

DaveB

No you would enter this function in any cell BUT A2. For example, if A2
contains the value "billy BoB thoRton" as you said, then placing the function
=PROPER(A2) into cell A3 would output "Billy Bob Thorton"

Does that help?

DaveB

"Polly" wrote:

I am trying to use the proper function in a large list. When I try to use the
proper function, the returned result is "0".

If cell A2 contains billy BoB thoRton, would the function be:
=Proper(a2) and would I enter this function in cell A2?

Duke Carey

would the function be: =Proper(a2) - YES
would I enter this function in cell A2 - NO

You must enter the function in an empty cell

"Polly" wrote:

I am trying to use the proper function in a large list. When I try to use the
proper function, the returned result is "0".

If cell A2 contains billy BoB thoRton, would the function be:
=Proper(a2) and would I enter this function in cell A2?

Polly

Yes, thank you.
Polly

"Polly" wrote:

I am trying to use the proper function in a large list. When I try to use the
proper function, the returned result is "0".

If cell A2 contains billy BoB thoRton, would the function be:
=Proper(a2) and would I enter this function in cell A2?

Blue Hornet

As the earlier posters have demonstrated, you have to use it (please
excuse me, and I'll never do this again until the next time) proper-ly.

DaveB

lol