-   -   vlookup (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/40572-vlookup.html)

canadian excel user

vlookup

I have used the following formula:
=VLOOKUP(A2,'[data aug15.xls]July 2005'!$A$2:$C$9216,2,TRUE)

I get N/A errors throughout the entire column.
Does anyone have any clue what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks very much,

KL

Hi,

It most probably means that the searched value (A2) is different type from
the ones in the first column of the lookup table ($A$2:$C$9216). You may
want to check if any values that appear like numbers are in reality text
strings or viceversa.

Regards,
KL

"canadian excel user" wrote in
message ...

I have used the following formula:
=VLOOKUP(A2,'[data aug15.xls]July 2005'!$A$2:$C$9216,2,TRUE)

I get N/A errors throughout the entire column.
Does anyone have any clue what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks very much,

R.VENKATARAMAN

KL may be correct.
may be there are some spaces before or after
or may be some nonprinting symols
there is an addin <hexchars (Pearson) with which you will be able to view
cells for such characters and remove them.
the url is
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.htm

you can just copy and paste from the lookuptable into the search sheet so
that both are exactly same and then try vlookup

--
remove $$$ from email addresss to send email
KL wrote in message

It most probably means that the searched value (A2) is different type from
the ones in the first column of the lookup table ($A$2:$C$9216). You may
want to check if any values that appear like numbers are in reality text
strings or viceversa.

Regards,
KL

"canadian excel user" wrote

in
message ...

I have used the following formula:
=VLOOKUP(A2,'[data aug15.xls]July 2005'!$A$2:$C$9216,2,TRUE)

I get N/A errors throughout the entire column.
Does anyone have any clue what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks very much,

canadian excel user

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions.

I think the values are all numbers, it appears as though all numbers in
cellsa are in the "general" format for numbers.

I also downloaded the add-in to be able to view the cells, there are no
spaces or extra characters visible in the cells.

Is there anything else this could be?