-   -   use a formula as a cell reference in a function (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/38442-use-formula-cell-reference-function.html)

tony h

use a formula as a cell reference in a function

I have a workbook with a Summary sheet and then a series of sheets for
each month/year. Onthe summary sheet I use column A for the month/year
as a date formatted "mmm yy" ie the same as the sheet names.

in columns B,C,D I want formulae that sums or averages a fixed range
on each sheet but I would like the formula to take the sheet name from
Columa A rather than hard coding it.

So that in the example =SUM('Dec 04'!$C$6:$C$47) I want to take the
"Dec 04" from the text in cell A3

Many thanks,

--
tony h
tony h's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=21074

Niek Otten

Hi Tony,

Look in HELP for the INDIRECT() function

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

Microsoft MVP - Excel

"tony h" wrote in
message ...

I have a workbook with a Summary sheet and then a series of sheets for
each month/year. Onthe summary sheet I use column A for the month/year
as a date formatted "mmm yy" ie the same as the sheet names.

in columns B,C,D I want formulae that sums or averages a fixed range
on each sheet but I would like the formula to take the sheet name from
Columa A rather than hard coding it.

So that in the example =SUM('Dec 04'!$C$6:$C$47) I want to take the
"Dec 04" from the text in cell A3

Many thanks,

--
tony h
tony h's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=392470

bj

A little awkward but try
=sum(offset(indirect("'"&A3&"'!$C$6"),0,0,42)

"tony h" wrote:

I have a workbook with a Summary sheet and then a series of sheets for
each month/year. Onthe summary sheet I use column A for the month/year
as a date formatted "mmm yy" ie the same as the sheet names.

in columns B,C,D I want formulae that sums or averages a fixed range
on each sheet but I would like the formula to take the sheet name from
Columa A rather than hard coding it.

So that in the example =SUM('Dec 04'!$C$6:$C$47) I want to take the
"Dec 04" from the text in cell A3

Many thanks,

--
tony h
tony h's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=21074
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=392470

tony h

Thank you for your help.

A bit of playing about (and the function you so kindly pointed out)
gives =INDIRECT("'" & TEXT(A4,"mmm yy") & "'!$C$3",TRUE)

without the TEXT function it brought in the date serial number, and the
sum function is : =SUM(INDIRECT("'"&TEXT(A4,"mmm
yy")&"'!$C$6:C40",TRUE))

Many thanks

--
tony h
tony h's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=21074
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=392470

Micah

I have the same question, but instead of "mmm yy" I want to referene a cell
with the word "Quality" in it. I then want to concatenate that cell with
R2C2 such that I get a formula =Quality!R2C2.

I tried the formula below with the cell for Quality in the text function
with no formating after the , i.e. text(r1c1, ) and could not get it to work.

Your help would be appreciated.

"tony h" wrote:

Thank you for your help.

A bit of playing about (and the function you so kindly pointed out)
gives =INDIRECT("'" & TEXT(A4,"mmm yy") & "'!$C$3",TRUE)

without the TEXT function it brought in the date serial number, and the
sum function is : =SUM(INDIRECT("'"&TEXT(A4,"mmm
yy")&"'!$C$6:C40",TRUE))

Many thanks

--
tony h
tony h's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=21074
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=392470

Biff

Hi!

Are you using the R1C1 reference style?

Assume R1C1 (A1) = Quality

=INDIRECT(R1C1&"!R2C2",FALSE)

Evaluates to:

=Quality!B2 (R2C2)

Biff

"tony h" wrote:

Thank you for your help.

A bit of playing about (and the function you so kindly pointed out)
gives =INDIRECT("'" & TEXT(A4,"mmm yy") & "'!$C$3",TRUE)

without the TEXT function it brought in the date serial number, and the
sum function is : =SUM(INDIRECT("'"&TEXT(A4,"mmm
yy")&"'!$C$6:C40",TRUE))

Many thanks

--
tony h
tony h's Profile:
View this thread:

Micah

Thanks Biff, I got it to work now. I have been looking for the function in
excel which acts like formula in VBA for a long time. Thanks again.