-   -   Can I get Excel not to save a file if certain information is not i (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/37834-can-i-get-excel-not-save-file-if-certain-information-not-i.html)

Sierra Coating

Can I get Excel not to save a file if certain information is not i

I would like to know if there is a way that I can set up a file that will not
allow someone to close it until certain cells are filled in.

Bernie Deitrick

In the Thisworkbook's codemodule, put this type of code:

If Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Value = "" Then Cancel = True
If Worksheets("Sheet2").Range("B2").Value = "" Then Cancel = True
' and so on for each cell that you require to be filled in

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Sierra Coating" <Sierra wrote in message
I would like to know if there is a way that I can set up a file that will not
allow someone to close it until certain cells are filled in.

Chip Pearson

This can be done only with VBA code. In the ThisWorkbook code
module, use code similar to the following:

If Range("A1") = "" Then ' change A1 to the desired cell
Cancel = True

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com

"Sierra Coating" <Sierra wrote
in message
I would like to know if there is a way that I can set up a file
that will not
allow someone to close it until certain cells are filled in.

Sierra Coating

I am putting this info into Visual Basic Editor under Module - it is not
working I pasted yout code and inserted my information (i.e. sheet names and
cell numbers) but it is not working - do you know what I am doig wrong?

"Bernie Deitrick" wrote:

In the Thisworkbook's codemodule, put this type of code:

If Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Value = "" Then Cancel = True
If Worksheets("Sheet2").Range("B2").Value = "" Then Cancel = True
' and so on for each cell that you require to be filled in

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Sierra Coating" <Sierra wrote in message
I would like to know if there is a way that I can set up a file that will not
allow someone to close it until certain cells are filled in.

Bernie Deitrick

You need to double-click on the ThisWorkbook object of your workbook within the project explorer -
press Ctrl-R to get the project explorer to show - and then paste the code in the window that
appears.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP