-   -   What function allows me to compare 20 repetting text. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/36839-what-function-allows-me-compare-20-repetting-text.html)

timbo

What function allows me to compare 20 repetting text.

I have 3 classifications of workers(supervisors,skilled, and unskilled) and
need to post a x in a cell by their jop title. I have been using the IF
funtion for years, but only had 5 or 6 job titles. Now with more job titles,
I have surpassed the maximum of 7 nest funtions.

Damon Longworth

Try something similar to:

=if(JobTitle1="JT","X","")&if(JobTitle2="JT2","X", "")&if(............

--
Damon Longworth

Don't miss out on the 2005 Excel User Conference
Sept 16th and 17th
Stockyards Hotel - Ft. Worth, Texas
www.ExcelUserConference.com

"timbo" wrote in message
I have 3 classifications of workers(supervisors,skilled, and unskilled) and
need to post a x in a cell by their jop title. I have been using the IF
funtion for years, but only had 5 or 6 job titles. Now with more job
titles,
I have surpassed the maximum of 7 nest funtions.

Bill Kuunders

Set up a table of two columns
1 to 20 and the job titles.
Use a number to refer to the job title............. 12
Use the vlookup function to "pick up" the title
something like =VLOOKUP(D2,$M$1:$N$20,2,FALSE)

where D2 is the number (12) for the job title
M1:N20 is the table
2 is for the second column
FALSE is to indicate that you need an exact match.
--
Greetings from New Zealand
Bill K

"timbo" wrote in message
I have 3 classifications of workers(supervisors,skilled, and unskilled) and
need to post a x in a cell by their jop title. I have been using the IF
funtion for years, but only had 5 or 6 job titles. Now with more job
titles,
I have surpassed the maximum of 7 nest funtions.

Ron Coderre

Try this:

Make a list of the Job Titles you are interested in flagging and name that
range:

Example:

D1: Supervisor
D2: Skilled
D3: Unskilled
D4: ThisJob
D5: ThatJob
D6: SomeJob

Name the range something like 'LU_JobTitle'.

Then, assuming the column of titles begin in cell A2) and you want the flags
in Col B, put this formula in B2 and copy down :

=IF(COUNTIF(LU_JobTitle,A2),"X","")
Or without the range name:
=IF(COUNTIF($D$1:$D$6,A2),"X","")

Does that help?